Mold Removal – How to Get Rid of Mold in Your Home

Mold growth is not only unsightly, but it can also trigger serious health complications, especially in people with weakened immune systems. It can cause breathing problems, rashes and even pulmonary hemorrhage in infants. It can also exacerbate asthma and cause eye and skin infections. The best thing to do is clean up the mold and prevent it from spreading, or better yet call a professional to remove it completely from your home.

Most often, the best way to remove mold is to scrub it off hard surfaces with a mild detergent mixed with water. This is typically sufficient to clear surface mold on most non-porous surfaces, but it is not always enough for porous materials such as drywall and carpeting. For these, a biocide is typically needed to kill the mold and protect the surfaces from future outbreaks.

Hydrogen peroxide is a common household cleaner Mold Removal and an effective mold treatment. It is safe for use on a wide range of surfaces and can effectively remove light to medium mold stains, as well as black mold.

To use, mix one part 3% hydrogen peroxide with two parts water in a spray bottle. Test the solution in an inconspicuous area first to ensure it will not discolor or damage the surface you are trying to clean. Spray the solution on the affected areas and let sit for up to 10 minutes, before scrubbing with a sponge or brush. Rinse the surface with clean water and wipe dry.

If the affected areas are particularly stubborn, a stronger cleaning solution may be needed. For a mild solution, try mixing 3/4 cup of bleach to a gallon of water, or 3 tablespoons of bleach in a quart of water for smaller spots. Wear rubber gloves and apply the mixture to the affected areas, scrubbing gently with a sponge or brush to make sure all the mold spores are removed. Rinse the surface and wipe dry with a cloth or sponge.

If a harder cleaning is required, try using distilled white vinegar. This mild acidic cleaner can deodorize, disinfect and kill up to 82% of all mold species on most surfaces and is safe for use on most hard surfaces. Its offensive odor usually goes away within an hour of application, and it is easily rinsed off with clean water.

In more severe cases of mold remediation, building materials such as drywall, carpeting, and insulation are removed and bagged to be safely disposed of. During this process, professionals will also spray the affected area with a biocide to keep mold spores from regenerating once the affected material is removed. They will also spray and clean all non-porous surfaces and vacuum and wipe down any remaining porous materials to ensure the space is free of any residual mold. The cleaned areas will then be dried to prevent further contamination and allow occupants to return. In addition, the cause of the mold will need to be addressed so it cannot grow back.